Amazon Payments Europe Privacy Notice
Last updated 6 April 2023
Amazon Payments Europe s.c.a., 38 avenue J.F. Kennedy, L-1855 Luxembourg (“Amazon Payments”) knows that you care how information about you is used and shared, and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and sensibly. This privacy notice describes how we collect and process your personal information through your use of our payment services including those that are hosted on or made available through our website at pay.amazon.com/uk (collectively, the “Services”)..
Amazon Payments is the “Data Controller” of personal information collected and processed for the Services, and may transfer such personal information to Amazon Payments UK Limited, which will also act as Data Controller in connection with the Service. Amazon EU SARL, Amazon Services Europe SARL and Amazon Media EU SARL, all three at 38 avenue J.F. Kennedy, L-1855 Luxembourg, are processors of the information collected for the Services.
The information we learn from you helps us provide, personalize, and continually improve the Services. We use the information to process payments, communicate with you about orders, products, services and promotional offers, update our records and maintain your accounts with us, display content, and recommend merchandise and services that might be of interest to you. We also use this information to improve our Services, prevent, detect or report fraud or abuses of our Services and enable third parties to carry out technical, logistical, or other functions on our behalf.
Here are the types of information we gather:
- Information You Give Us: We receive and store any information you enter while using the Services. Click here to see examples of what we collect. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to use the Services. We use the information that you provide for conducting the Services, opening your account at Amazon Payments, processing your transactions, responding to your requests, and communicating with you.
- Automatic Information: We automatically receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many websites, we use "cookies," and other unique identifiers and we obtain certain types of information when your Web browser or device accesses our Services. Click here to see examples of the information we collect.
- Information from Other Sources: We might receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information. Click here to see examples of the information we receive.
We process your personal information to operate, provide, and improve the Services we offer to our customers. These purposes include:
- Purchase and delivery of products and services: We use your personal information to process payments and communicate with you about orders, products, services, and promotional offers.
- Provide, troubleshoot, and improve the Service: We use your personal information to provide functionality, analyse performance, fix errors, and improve usability and effectiveness of the Services.
- Recommendations: We use your personal information to recommend features, products, and services that might be of interest to you and to identify your preferences.
- Comply with legal and contractual requirements: In certain cases, we are required by law to collect and process your personal information. For instance, we collect from seller’s information regarding their place of establishment and bank account information for identity verification and other purposes.
- Communicate with you. We use your personal information to communicate with you in relation to the Services via different channels (e.g., by phone, email, chat).
- Advertising. We use your personal information to display interest-based ads for features, products, and services that might be of interest to you. To learn more, please read our Interest-Based Ads Notice
- Fraud Prevention and Credit Risks. We process information to prevent or detect fraud and abuse in order to protect the security of our customers, Amazon Payments, and others. We may also use scoring methods and third party service providers to assess and manage credit risks.
- Purposes for which we seek your consent. We may also ask you to consent to process some of your personal information for a specific purpose that we communicate to you. When you consent to our processing your personal information for a specified purpose, you may withdraw your consent at any time and we will stop any further processing of your data for that purpose.
Information about our users is an important part of our business, and we are not in the business of selling it to others. Amazon Payments shares user information only as described below and with Amazon.com, Inc. and the subsidiaries Amazon.com, Inc. controls that are either subject to this Privacy Notice or follow practices at least as protective as those described in this Privacy Notice.
- Disclosure to Other Users: Depending on which payment service you use, you may need to disclose your e-mail address or mobile phone number (or alias) to other users so they can send payments to you. An alias can be used in lieu of a mobile phone number for our mobile payment service. When you send payments, your name, e-mail address, or mobile phone number (or alias) may be disclosed to the intended recipient. Once a transaction is complete, this information will be displayed in the transaction list of the user receiving payment. Mobile phone number and alias information are only disclosed as part of our mobile payments. Our "tag" feature also permits users of a mobile-initiated transaction to view a text reference associated with the transaction on our site.
- Purchases: We do not disclose your financial information (such as full credit card information) to any seller or other recipient of payments (the “Recipient”) you make without your prior consent. When you make a purchase by using our Services, we may make certain other personal information about you available to the Recipient required to complete the transaction (such as name, e-mail and shipping address and phone number), in the event of a dispute regarding the transaction, or as part of a fraud investigation.
- Third-party Service Providers: We employ financial institutions, other companies, and individuals to perform functions on our behalf and transactions that you request or authorize. Examples include sending postal mail and e-mail, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, processing payment transactions, verifying identity, fraud screening, and providing customer service. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. Further, they must process the personal information in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by the applicable data protection legislation.
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy other businesses or services. In such transactions, user or other customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing privacy notice (unless, of course, you consent otherwise). Also, in the unlikely event that Amazon Payments or substantially all of its assets are acquired, user information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
- Protection of Amazon Payments and Others: We disclose account and other personal information when we believe disclosure is appropriate or required to comply with the law; enforce or apply our User Agreement and other agreements we have with you; or protect the rights, property, or safety of our business, our users, or others. You agree to release us from our professional secrecy obligations and agree to Amazon Payments sharing and disclosing personal information as described above to any competent financial intelligence unit charged with fighting money laundering and terrorism financing for the specific purposes described in this bullet point. This also includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction as well as sharing information with our attorneys, auditors, and other representatives.
With Your Consent: Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when information about you might be disclosed to third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
Transfers out of the European Economic Area Whenever we transfer personal information to countries outside of the European Economic Area in the course of sharing information as set out above, we will ensure that the information is transferred in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by the applicable laws on data protection.
We design our systems with your security and privacy in mind.
- We work to protect the security of your information you provide to our web sites by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) softwareto encrypt that information during transmission.
- We follow the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) when handling credit card data.
- We reveal only the last four digits of your credit card numbers when confirming an order. Of course, we transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company during order processing.
- We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage, and disclosure of personal customer information. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we disclose personal information to you.
- It is important for you to take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your account and your password. You should keep your password and any security questions confidential.. The security of your Amazon Payments account relies on your protection of your password and security questions. DO NOT SHARE YOUR PASSWORD. If you do share your password with a third party for any reason, the third party may have access to your account and your personal information, and you may be responsible for actions taken using your password. If you believe someone else has obtained access to your password, please change it immediately by logging in to your account and changing your Profile settings, and also contact us right away.
Our Services may display personalized third party advertising based on personal information about users. Click here for more information about the personal information that we gather. Although we do not provide any personal information to advertisers, advertisers (including ad-serving companies) may assume that users who interact with or click on a personalised advertisement meet the criteria used to display the personalised ad (for example, users in the UK who browsed for or bought classical music). If you do not want us to use personal information that we gather to personalize the third-party advertisements we display to you, please adjust your Advertising Preferences under Your Account.
Amazon Payments gives you access to a broad range of information about your account and your interactions with us for the limited purpose of viewing and, in certain cases, updating that information. You may access that information about you may be accessed by logging into your Amazon Payments account in Seller Central. Click here to see some examples, the list of which will change as our Services evolve. Click here for information on how to access your personal information.
If you have any question or objection as to how we collect and process your personal information, please contact Seller Support.
- As detailed above, you can always choose not to provide information, even though it might be needed to use or take advantage of the Services.
- You can add or update certain information on pages such as those referenced in the Information You Can Access section above. When you update information, we usually keep a copy of the previous version for our records.
- If you do not want to receive e-mail or other communications from us, please adjust your Customer Communication Preferences in “Your Account”. You may not opt-out of receiving customer service messages related to your account or transactions or other legal notices from us.
- If you want to browse our websites anonymously, you may do so by logging out of your account here and disabling cookies on your browser.
- When you consent to our processing your personal information for a specified purpose, you may withdraw your consent at any time and we will stop any further processing of your data for that purpose.
In addition, subject to applicable law, you have the right to request access to, correct, and delete your personal data, and to ask for data portability. You may also object to our processing of your personal data or ask that we restrict the processing of your personal data in certain instances. If you wish to do any of these things, please visit Seller Central or contact Seller Support.
Our Services are not intended for use by children. Only persons 18 and older are permitted to establish accounts.
We keep your personal information to enable your continued use of the Service, for as long as it is required in order to fulfil the relevant purposes described in this Privacy Notice, as may be required by law such as for anti-money laundering and counter terrorist financing, tax and accounting purposes, or as otherwise communicated to you. For example, we retain your transaction history so that you can review past orders.
If you have any concern about privacy at Amazon Payments, please contact us with a thorough description, and we will try to resolve it. Further, the data protection officer for the above mentioned data controllers can be contacted at email@example.com. You can file a complaint with our principal supervisory authority, the Commission Nationale pour la Protection des Données in Luxembourg www.cnpd.lu, or with a local authority.
Our business changes constantly, and our Privacy Notice will change also. You may receive e-mails with periodic reminders of our notices and conditions. You should check our site frequently to see recent changes. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account. We stand behind the promises we make, however, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of user information collected in the past without the consent of affected users.
Examples of Information Collected
Information You Give Us when you use the Services.
You provide information to us when you:
- open an account,
- use the Services, or
- communicate with customer service.
For example, to open and use an Amazon Payments account, you must provide:
- your name,
- e-mail address, and
- bank account information.
We also may ask you to choose security questions to answer before we process transactions, issue you a new password, or provide you with customer service.
When you use our Services to transfer money we may ask you to provide information to facilitate this transaction.
We also collect information that may be necessary for us to verify your identity and comply with anti-money laundering or similar law. Such information may include, without limitation,
- date of birth,
- driver's license number,
- a credit card statement and information,
- a recent utility bill,
- other information linking you to an address in your account,
- phone number,
- people to whom purchases have been dispatched (including addresses and phone numbers),
- the personal description in your account,
- financial information, and
- demographic information.
Examples of the information we collect and analyze include:
- the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet,
- login, e-mail address, and password,
- computer, device, and connection information such as device application or browser type and version, browser plug-in types and versions, or time zone setting,
- device metrics such as when a device is in use, application usage, connectivity data, and any errors or event failures,
- the location of your device or computer,
- Service metrics (e.g., the occurrences of technical errors, your interactions with the Service features and content, your settings preferences and backup information, location of your device running an application),
- operating system, and platform,
- account history, and
- the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) click-stream to, through and from our Website, including date and time, cookie number, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs) and the phone numbers you used to call our customer service number.
We may also use device identifiers, cookies, and other technologies on devices, applications and our web pages to collect browsing, usage or other technical information for fraud prevention purposes
Information from Other Sources
Examples of information we receive from other sources include:
- Account information and credit history information from credit bureaus, which we use to help prevent and detect fraud and to offer certain credit or financial services.
- We also reserve the right, subject to applicable law, to periodically to retrieve and review a credit report or other credit history information from credit bureaus for any account.
Information You Can Access
Examples of information you can access through pay.amazon.com/uk, pay.amazon.com/de, pay.amazon.com/fr, pay.amazon.com/it, and pay.amazon.com/es include status of information regarding recent transactions, personally identifiable information (including name, e-mail, password, communications preferences), payment settings (including credit card information and bank account information), e-mail notification settings, your complete order history, and your personal information.